Thursday, October 13, 2016

Time marches on

Thirteen years ago I had no idea that I was on the cusp of motherhood. I always have to count backwards and remember that on October 13th around 4-ish am I went into labor with my very first child. She was a week overdue and I had been scheduled for an induction the next day because I was miserable. I was 41 weeks and still throwing up multiple times a day. I was a really still a baby myself at the age of 23, and was about to learn my very first lesson of putting the interest of someone else before myself - with zero benefits gained.

From October 13th around 4 am to October 15th at around 7 pm, I labored on and on and on. Back labor. The worst possible pain and discomfort imaginable, ruled that labor. We walked - a lot. I couldn't sleep and so I walked, trying to get outside the pain. This was my very first experience with a physical pain that matched an inner emotional pain I'd carried with me, and it ripped me wide open. I managed to go another day and night of labor before finally driving into the hospital around 7 am.

Twelve hours later I met my firstborn. Right now, in this exact moment in time I couldn't grasp the concept that I was becoming a mother, that my life was going to drastically change, that I was about to grow by one. I find this bittersweet and amazing as we start to prepare ourselves for another addition to our family, more to follow on that later.

Looking at my sweet girl who is slowly blooming and transforming before my eyes, I cannot believe the last thirteen years has flown so quickly. She is a bright eyed, poignant, wickedly intelligent, calm, slow to process and react, truly a beautiful soul. She is slow to think of herself, quick to please, loves the Lord immensely and blows through books at the rate of insanity. Her goals and aspirations are to be valedictorian of her high school, attend the local University of California, and to go into the medical field. I believe she can accomplish anything she puts her mind to.

After a week of travel for work at conferences and team building activities in the beautiful city of San Francisco - near where I grew up, I am thankful to be back home among my peoples (as we say to the kids constantly). I am soaking up their interactions and grateful for ALL of this. These kids are amazing, each and every one of them. I look forward to having tomorrow off and spending the day with my soon to be teenager and her little sister (whose birthday is 5 days later) and do girl things all day - get our hair done, manicures and pedicures and lunch.

Once upon a time I questioned what God was thinking giving me girls. 13 years later I know He was wise and gave me exactly what I needed. These girls are such a blessing and I enjoy seeing what they will grow and blossom and be, even more than they are today. Time surely marches on, no stopping for anything. I am thankful for that.



No comments: