Saturday, January 11, 2020

One year later

Yesterday marked one year that a good friend lost her battle to cancer. You’d think that would be  enough. Nope. Today marks 2 years my father in law laid down his own battle to cancer. On top of all these emotional warheads, it’s been one year since a 22 year old police officer lost her life in Davis. She was doing a routine pull over, when someone decided to shoot her down.

I saw the posts. They were multiple. I commented on one friend’s that it was just too close to home to process. Just a month previously my own niece had graduated from academy. Those moments, the premonition ... all my texts. It didn’t matter. You were determined. You’d worked so hard. And this was your calling. So far from any calling I’d ever had and you were home in the police force.

I hear sirens now and I immediately think of you. I think of how much your city and family was robbed of you. Your smile, your goodness, your just right to do right by all. I wish everyone had gotten to know you. I wish those people jeering had known how much you were willing to put yourself on the line for them. But I don’t want you to know how much we miss you. How much my kids ache for you and how much Ry cries for you.

And the same for Natalie. I think you two would have been best of friends. Smiling, loving all those kids surrounding you, your love for the police force. And I’m back to today, a year ago. But my heart aches doubly for the loss of two beautiful women and especially for the family that mourns their daughter today. This marks the first big anniversary ... my texts couldn’t protect you. But my heart aches doubly for the Corona family.

No comments: