Over the past month and a half I've had over a dozen interesting and comical blogs written out in my head, mostly as i fall asleep at night they come to me. But first DH was gone for 2 weeks in Delaware for Army training which left me zero computer time, then we moved, then I came down with strep throat. And of course, all those mental blogs are gone with the wind. So I'll just catch up on what we've been up to the last month.
As I stated DH had to go away for training again, I swear he's here about half the time, as he gone again this weekend for drill and then will be doing his 2 week long drill next month. Oh well, glad we have a big dog and great neighbors.
We moved. DH found a rental home literally 2 blocks from the children's school. Ironically this house had been on the market for months over a year ago, I'd seen it on MLS and fell in love with the curb appeal, large lot (it's between half to 1 acre), and the updated kitchen. Though I'd not ever gone and looked at it, as it was listed around $345,000 and in this market I refuse to pay in the 3's. So I put it out of my mind. Then DH said we needed to go look at a house and we pulled up to it. There were a few issues, but DH loved it and finding a rental in our school boundaries in our tiny community is really hard and we'd been looking for almost a year. So the fact that the entire house is hardwood floors, some of the addition is a little wonky, and the back yard is unfenced and on a slope to where it needs some serious work were all things we decided to live with. We've been in for just over 2 weeks and I'm still acclimating. Most of the house is unpacked, though I'm still figuring out how to configure and decorate to my liking. DS loves the playroom and the fact that he has a huge open room with sliding doors looking out to nature and the view of our great big rolling hills. He will play contentedly for hours and crawls around or uses the chairs to walk across the room. The girls are still getting use to the house, and the request to go back to our home have gotten less. I'm sure once we pull out the bikes and scooters and let them run through the sprinklers, they will have forgotten the tiny 2 bedroom apartment with no usable yard. For now, I'm trying not to go crazy with having a house that is not in order or set up how i like it. I'm just trying to breath and realize it will get there eventually.
I managed to pick up strep throat, that was loads of fun. I hadn't had it since a child and forgot how debilitating it is. I lost about 5 pounds (no worries, i gained it all back lol) and slept for almost a full day. It was awful and something I don't want to ever get again. Got to love school house germs coming home on your children!
We had the last day of school yesterday. Hallelujah! I am not a fan of the routine of school and I hate mornings. Drop offs at 8 am and then again at 9 and being at the school all day are not my idea of fun days. So I'm glad to settle into our 10 week break and hoping we can fit a trip in somewhere to Disneyland this summer. I am so proud of the girls. My oldest received all 4s on her report card and is outstanding in language arts and her teacher has suggested we get her tested for the gifted and talented program for 2nd grade. We will see. For now I'm not going to push it unless my DD brings it up, what's meant to be will be and if she needs a challenge then we'll look into it. DD#2 did good on her report card, but we already knew we'd be doing a bonus year of kindergarten since she is the youngest in her class by a year. She was bummed at first, but I know once she gets into it again she'll not care. Of course it sucks because i really wanted to return to work next year, but that will be waiting for the following year when i wont have to be running to school like i did this year!
DS turns one in three days. I'm in complete shock and disbelief that this year has FLOWN by. And I'm also quietly excited that my baby is going to be a year old. Don't get me wrong, I love my babies. But I also love toddler hood a lot more. I keep teasing DH that we are halfway there! We've almost hit the halfway mark to the stage where our children tend to settle down and life is suddenly manageable. Most people hate two, but for me it's by far my favorite stage and age. I know that I'll miss the little baby feet, the fact that I can carry DS everywhere and anywhere, those moments when his chubby hands wrap themselves around my neck and he slobber kisses my cheek and neck. I know that these daily naps where he sleep with me in my bed wrapped up in my arms up against my heart will not last forever and one day I'll miss his fuzzy little head and the sweet smell of my baby. But I also know I wont miss the screaming, high needs baby who wont let me do anything and who still seems to be allergic to everything (the dairy we tried hit on the second day full blown of a reaction, so we are back to no dairy). And so, I am planning his bday party. We will have it next weekend, since this weekend is drill and one of my nieces' grad party. We aren't doing it too huge, probably going to have just under 30 guests and we will be setting up a slip and slide, sprinklers and baby pools in the front yard and barbecuing. We just want to let the kids hang out, get wet, have some fun and enjoy this special year we've been blessed with. In every way, I know that I don't deserve someone as amazing and special as our little man who came to us completely by surprise, but we intend on soaking up every single minute of it and enjoying it to the fullest.
And with that, I smell someones ripe diaper! Off to the land of motherhood!
No comments:
Post a Comment