Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The best of birthday gifts

For ten months we have been fighting a very unhappy little man. From day 1 I knew he needed to be on a specialized formula, but DH reminded me how breast is best and how expensive formula was. Why pay when you have a dairy in your own wife?

Immediately I noticed that he had a diary issue, I was already on a lactose free diet as I am lactose intolerant. So I proceeded to cut out dairy as best I could. I also was egg free, as this was another intolerance I'd had since my first pregnancy. We spent the next months fighting with our pediatrician to take us seriously. DS had colic and was just a really high demand baby to the point of me wanting to drive him to the ER and demand SOMEBODY, ANYBODY fix him. We tried every formula on the aisle, much to our dismay he refused all. And the ones we could get him to take via a dropper resulted in the worst vomiting and painful gas ever. Finally we got him into a GI who took us seriously. She prescribed Elecare and a complete elimination diet.

So I cut out soy, citric acid and wheat on top of the dairy and egg I already wasn't getting. I lived on meat, veggies, fish, salad and chili. The perk to this extremely hard diet, I lost 15 pounds. We managed to get about 6 ounces of Elecare into his 2 feedings of pureed veggies/fruit and suddenly DS started sleeping. He slept 7 hours straight every night for a week straight. He stopped his all day screaming and suddenly became the little baby who had first entered this world.

Of course it all ended and we are still left scratching our heads, me still on an impossible diet that I hate and DS refusing the bottle to this day. But last night, he snatched some of the girls' macaroni and cheese. I turned to see him shoving it in his face and I about had a heart attack. And then I stood and watched. No welts around his mouth, no hives. I even offered him some more. He greedily scarfed it down and I continued watching him the rest of the night. No welts, no hives, no wheezing.

"Hmm, it will hit tonight. He'll be up all night screaming and then tomorrow his runny diapers will be back, I'll keep an extra eye on him", I thought as I cleaned up dinner. Much to my surprise he only woke up twice last night. And today, no runny diaper. And still, no welts, no rash, no hives, no wheezing.

So this morning I gave him some items with dairy in it. We'd been keeping the little MumMum rice cakes out of his diet because they contain trace amounts of milk, and before would cause a rash all over his face. So far, nothing. And so I hope. I tentatively hope that maybe just maybe this is his birthday gift to me. Maybe he has outgrown his dairy allergy!

This would be the best gift ever, because having a kid who is severely allergic to dairy is a pain in the butt. EVERYTHING out there has dairy in it, and if not dairy it has wheat and soy in it. It's been impossible to keep him fed as he really loves feeding himself. Little things that I took for granted with my first 2 kids, have been proving to be the biggest trials ever. And so, I hope that this is real and that he has quite possibly outgrown a food allergy as I know it's possible!

No comments: