No, I haven't given birth recently so this isn't about my births. I haven't been around another one in awhile. But on another board we were discussing birth and how it can be described as many things. And I wrote:
"I think the best way I can describe it after four births is, birth is a challenge. A little being is inside of you and knows exactly what course to sail and if you are open to listening to their navigation you will not only have an amazing birth, but you will have a life long connection with your child that says: I love you, I know you and I trust you. My 4 births have been the best challenges of my life and while I've had a painful hospital birth, an ecstatic homebirth, a scarringly painful homebirth and a pain free easy homebirth ... It isn't simply the outcome of how the birth made me feel that has shaped me and caused me to grow. It is realizing the challenge each individual and different child brought to me and seeing how amazingly made my body is to encompass each challenge and trust in myself and each child ♥" https://www.facebook.com/#!/birthwithoutfear
And see that's it. This encompasses the reasons that I know I am born to become a midwife one day and it is why I knew I was meant to go through the four births I did, I own those births each and every one and have learned so much and hope to one day serve other women through their own births. Because to me, birth isn't about being right. It isn't about being wrong. It isn't about proving to the world or convincing everyone that 'my' way is the right way or that their way is the wrong way. Instead it is solely about how a woman's choice on how to birth is the key. How each birth comes to you and presents a challenge. Each of us as laboring women (can't say mothers, because I've birthed as a surrogate and was not the mother), are faced with challenges and decisions that we have to make in the midst of it all.
And my 'calling', my passion, my desire to become a midwife isn't about changing other women's opinions, desires or wishes to birth in a manner they don't want. Instead I want to serve the women who choose homebirth as the right path and help support and empower them through that journey, to help them face the challenge of birth that is presented to them if i can and I know that should an emergency arise or a woman decide she needs to be elsewhere to birth, I will be her number one supporter. Some women don't need support or empowerment, i learned that with my last birth. But I still want to be able to offer my services and education to support a woman in the choice to confront the challenges of labor and birth, to meet her unborn child before he/she has entered this world and say, "I love you, I believe in you, I know you and ultimately I trust you". Even in the worst of birth situations . . . be it a painfully scaring birth or the loss of your child only moments after they enter this world . . . to say these worlds, to feel these emotions is as if to witness the colliding of two galaxies and for a split second watch the two galaxies see, know and feel the existence of each other. It is truly magical.
Birthing women are magical, no matter how many times someone tells me it is a basic human action that we are evolved to do, because no matter the outcome of the birth every mother is touched by their unborn child's soul/existence/being (whatever you may call it) in those moments and they are forever left with an imprint on their soul. Birth is a challenge, it is one that we as women take by the horns and say time and time again, "I will meet you there sweet child because i love you, because i want you, because motherhood is the greatest gift I have ever been given no matter the outcome". And that my friends, that is purely magical.
No comments:
Post a Comment