Thursday, November 13, 2014

The time of year to be thankful

The holidays are right around the corner and BK and I have slowly been planning for it. This year will be low key for Thanksgiving, probably a good thing as our Christmas is going to be full of ALL his family and then all of my family within a week's time frame. I joke that he gets to see the chaos that is a huge family and it is preparation for us for years to come.

I have five sisters, lost my brother four years ago and then have 3 more half siblings I've never met. Big families clearly don't phase me. My sisters and I all usually spend the day after Christmas together at my parent's home and bring all our minions (aka children) and spouses/significant others. So far there are thirteen children between my sisters and I. This one on the way will make 14 and I'm pretty sure my 2 little sisters are both actively ttc. My brother and his wife have 9 children, but they are all the way across the country so unfortunately we don't get to share the festivities with them. But there are plenty of cousins to play with needless to say. This year we will be bringing BK's kids, so there will be even more playmates and fun.

Thanksgiving we've decided to tackle the nursery, redoing the room for the two littlest of the bunch. We've picked a lovely aqua color and I've already pieced together the patchwork quilt and sewn the gray aqua curtains. The special verse that I've latched on to and has become my favorite for this pregnancy just arrived yesterday and will go over the crib "Every good and perfect gift is from above. - James 1:17" as both BK and I grasp what a gift this child truly is for us. I get to finish painting the kids names, my own kids have them so BK's daughter and then this one will be getting some as well for the walls. Little pieces here and there are coming together as I'm making most everything, I forgot how much I miss painting. Another favorite is the "I love you to the moon and back" sign on gray chevron background from rustic wood, excited to get it hung and see how the room comes together. I look forward to watching the bonds between my older son and this child and then between BK's youngest daughter and this child. Both of them were the babies for each of us and now they get to be big siblings, my son is over the moon excited and I'm betting BK's daughter will be best of friends as the age difference is the same as my 2 oldest girls.

We have so much to be thankful for. Our health, the health of our children, this new addition to our family, our family that somehow makes perfect sense in this mad world, each other. The list goes on and on. We choose not to focus on the negative or the stressors of life, but to pull together and form a team to where every night we are just 100% contented within each other's silence and love. I've never been so contented with life before. My insomnia is gone, my anxiety is minimal these days, my peace and cup are full. BK feels the same and we look at each other in wonder of how this all came to be and how we manage to just fit together. I think when you've been through the worst or you've been taken for granted for years, being with someone who loves and appreciates you and never takes you for granted leaves for a foundation of thankfulness that grows daily. This year I have so much to be thankful for. Time has been the biggest blessing in my life and I'm thankful for each day that draws me further from the life I walked away from and closer to the life I am blessed to be sharing with BK. Like the verse says, "Every good and perfect gift comes from above".

No comments: