Monday, November 10, 2008

Christmas preperation

In everything in my life I am the complete opposite of a procrastinator, except Christmas shopping. I truly hate shopping for christmas, heck who am I kidding? I'm a femal version of Scrooge. I've never much enjoyed the holidays and Christmas has always been my least favorite. Various reasons, all stupid. Ironically enough, I married Mr. Christmas himself. The man starts singing 'Deck the Halls' and 'Jingle Bells' in October and it's a miracle he makes it through 3 months with nothing more then pillows and glares thrown at him. Then I had children and realized it was time to suck it up and at least make Christmas enjoyable for the girls. So i started trying to get into the spirit of things and do enjoy the moments of opening gifts, the ham we prepare and feast on and the moments of twinkles in the girls' eyes as they realize Santa did eat their cookies and carrots.


But, i have yet to figure out how to combat the procrastination of shopping. Every year i start thinking about it 6 weeks before the big day and every year i find myself tackling my huge list the week of Christmas. Every year i curse myself under my breath for putting it off so long and being so lazy, and wondering why this is the one thing i suck at.


So i find myself throwing around the idea of making as many gifts as possible this year. In theory its a great idea, in execution I do believe it is a heart attack in the making. Me and the sewing machine have a love hate relationship. I hate using it, it loves being put away. Things do get made, but its a miracle the girls havent asked why I talk so meanly to the machine. I see all these cute doll and monkey patterns and think 'I could do that'.


"Why yes Jenelle, you could. But should you do it be prepared to curse and cry and stamp your feet in frustration because you really do HATE to sew."


So then i look at etsy and HC and wonder what i can buy that is homemade and find myself with this conundrum. To buy or to make? Headache or broke? Hmmm, good thing i have 6-ish weeks to figure it out, which most likely will end in a mad dash of me trying to get everything wrapped the night before. Who am i kidding, a

No comments: