Tuesday, February 15, 2011

9 Week Challenge

Yesterday marked the beginning of a 9 week challenge that me and DH are having. We are doing it on our own, without any trainers or fancy meal plans. It's just a good old fashioned competition to see who can lose more weight or get to their goal first.

When DH left for BCT he was 20-30 lbs overweight. I had just given birth a few weeks previously and was 20 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight, which was still about 10 lbs over my normal happy weight. So we bet each other. He bet he would lose more weight since he would have a drill sergeant on his butt 24/7 for 10 weeks. I bet that I would get motivated and do P90X and lose more weight.

10 weeks rolled around and I was thrilled to jump into DH's arms after our being apart for so long. I knew that I had done well and was also amazed at the difference in DH. He looked like he did when we had been dating! He was thin and firm and oh what a sexy rear that man had again! I believe he ended up losing 28 lbs. I was also proud of my own accomplishments. Without any daycare or any time away from the kids and doing the single mom thing for 10 weeks I had managed to not only stick to P90X, i had also added 2 miles, 2 minutes of sit ups and push ups. I had decided that I wanted to match the Army requirements for this and i did. I believe i ended up doing 2 miles a day, usually in 16:14 or there abouts. I had lost a grand total of 38 lbs! DH was thrilled and told me i looked better than i ever had, i think mostly my confidence was the real turn on for him though!

So, lesson learned from all of this. Is the 2 of us thrive on competition, when all else fails. And all else has failed. DH is 6 months out from his ACL/MCL surgery and able to work out modified. He is about 20 lbs overweight. I am 8 months out from giving birth and somehow this time have lost only 20 of the 40 lbs i gained from the pregnancy. Very annoying as usually my body is back to pre-preganancy weight 6 weeks post. So i have 20 lbs to hit a good weight for me while breastfeeding, after DS weans I'll work on the remaining 10.

We did our weights, we took our measurements. Originally i was too embarrassed to post them, but I figure it's the best way for me to keep honest and on it. I really am overweight and very unhappy in this body. So the best way to keep motivated is to be truthful about what i really don't like. I think the most embarrassing part for me was after doing our measurements and comparing, the realization that DH's measurements aren't that far off than mine and yet he's 6'1" and I am only 5'4"!!

J's (me) measurements:
Weight = 160 lbs
Hips = 42"
Waist = 40"
Stomach = 41"
Bust = 42.5"
Neck = 13.5"
Arm = 13"
Thigh = 24.5"
Calf = 14"

B's (DH) measurements:
Weight = 200 lbs
Hips = 40"
Waist = 37.5"
Stomach = 42"
Neck = 16"
Arm = 13.5"
Thigh = 23.5"
Calf = 15.5"

We've each set a goal of 20 lbs to lose and I want my measurements to be a lot smaller than DH's instead of just an inch or 2 in difference. I also want to tone up like I was the summer before I conceived DS. DH has decided that he will be hitting the gym 3 times a week, on top of 2 days a week of his physical therapy. He is in charge of his meals for breakfast and lunches and I will make dinners. I have decided to do Insanity, and it should be here at the end of the week. I also want to get into the gym 3 nights a week so that I can do 2 miles on the precore or treadmill. I will be watching my diet by just making overall healthy choices and cutting out soda. I just started a gluten free and dairy free diet, due to DS and some allergies we believe he has. So other than that, I've decided not to count calories or go on any diet. I don't enjoy restricting myself and I already feel as if there are very few things I can eat. Gluten and dairy are in EVERYTHING, so in reality what I'm left with seem to be pretty healthy choices (think brown rice, chicken/fish/turkey and steamed or fresh veggies, salads and chili).

9 weeks should put us at April 18th, which is the week before my 31st birthday! Perfect timing to get healthy and in shape! I'll keep updating and probably keep a food/work out log so that I remember to do something daily! Oh and I almost forgot! We have decided this time to actually bet! If I 'win' then I get my much wanted tattoo (back and shoulder piece), DH get's a set of rims for his Honda!

No comments: