Yep, I said it! I am cutting myself off from all Casein and i feel like an addict, willing to cut you for some cheese! Just the initial thought of having to stop any cheese from entering my mouth was scary enough that I put it off for months. But we've done all we can and everything else, DS is still losing weight, breaking out with acne, having diaper rashes, loose stools and colic.
So we have started a Gluten Free Casein Free diet. It's a LOT! Very overwhelming as i'm already lactose intolerant and have an egg and sulfate allergy. So i ditched focusing on the sulfates and decided to just focus on the diary, gluten and egg allergies. In hopes that this was part of the problem that DS has been fighting for the last 8 months. I spent over 2 hours wandering the aisles, being confused, reading the labels and wondering WHY this wasn't easier.
We left, $250 more broke (though granted half of that was normal groceries and extra produce as i realized just about the only safe things were fresh produce) and me hoping that I could stick to it. Tonight was suppose to be step one. I took 2 bites of the gluten and casein free pizza and about threw it out the window. My head screamed, my heart dropped and my stomach said there was no way that this could EVER be good to anyone. So i told myself, tomorrow. And i will. Tomorrow i will start. But i know it's going to be a long road and a long haul. I happily enjoyed my normal pizza, with the wonderfully flour filled crust and mozzarella cheese laden toppings. I enjoyed it and realized, it would be the last time.
Thankfully i'm a stickler and very stubborn. Plus DH and i made a bet. Who ever loses 20 lbs first, wins. We haven't agreed on the wage, but I won the last time when dh left for basic training. We had a bet about who would lose the most weight. . . DH away at BCT or myself home and doing the single mom thing with 2 kids. I ended up winning (yep, still darn proud of that!) and lost 38 lbs. DH was shocked. But it's my will and determination. I'm not positive that going GFCF will cause any weight loss, but i do know that i've decided to replace things. I have cut out sodas and replaced it with green tea. I have cut out sandwiches and replaced it with salads and chicken flavored with garlic. I have cut out the fast food i ate every morning for breakfast and have soy yogurt and gluten free granola waiting in serving sizes. So i have set myself up for success, now to see how much this changes my own body and what it does for DS.
2 comments:
I've never had to give up foods due to intolerance, but my guess is the gfcf 'replacement' products aren't going to be enjoyable for awhile for you. Try sticking to fresh fruits and veggies that are appropriate.
If R is doing better it will be easier for you to continue to stay away from those items and eventually the 'replacement' pizza might taste ok, since you'll have gone for awhile without it.
Daiya makes a great non-dairy cheese. I buy it shredded and it melts very well. I've tried several others, and didn't like any of them except for Daiya.
Post a Comment