Thursday, May 29, 2014

Smear campaigns

It is election season for many counties and my quaint little town is no different than others, plastered with billboards and signs and people waving signs to vote for such and such. Each and every election I just shake my head and wonder how people can be so willing to vote for an 'official' who is willing to drag another human being through the dirt. Maybe this just adds to my list of reasons why I do not vote (nor do I complain about our government or those who are elected into positions).

You hear it everywhere. It starts off with a conversation of why someone is bad, screwed up, or what they have done wrong. Then they go on to say choose me instead. There is no verifiable data shared, there is no place to contact to see what facts are truth and which are fiction, and worse yet . . . there is nothing about the other person asking to be picked that has anything positive except they can take down the competition by smearing their opponent's character.

Probably another reason why BK and I meld into each other so well. When someone speaks negatively about another person so as to be seen in a higher light, it turns us both off. These candidates, if truly are as great as they say they are should be able to win votes from the positive history of their own actions. To win someone's vote you shouldn't have to drag down the others because in reality you just went down a few levels yourself. When all you do is speak negatively about another, it turns people to wonder what are they hiding? Why must they speak negatively to look good to others? Why are they hiding and unable to be chosen for simply being a good person and good at what they do? Maybe because they aren't.

This has been going on for years, probably as far back as we can remember with things like the pepsi vs coke and other such mundane choices in life. But just like why I buy a certain brand vehicle and prefer to stick with clean fighters when it comes to opponents, the same goes for voting. If I were a voter, the last person I'd vote for is the one working so darn hard to start a smear campaign that they left all their dirty little secrets in plain light - just waiting for someone to come put all the pieces together. What is that saying? Thou doth protest too much!

No comments: