I keep losing track of time, that happens when you're banished to your bedroom by your midwives and dh. Today though, is a much better day, recovery wise. The mastitis seems to be under control, the clogged ducts are opening up and my breasts are feeling much better. Still fighting lovely nipple pain, but ehh it isn't as bad as it was when nursing a newborn. In a 36 hour time frame I pumped over 100 ounces. They don't kid about me being an over producer.
Speaking of which, you don't hear ever about the problems of over producing. You often hear mother's who can't produce or fight the battle of under production. And when my friends with these issues hear about me overproducing they laugh and can't believe it's a problem. But it really can be. I always thought it was my children, that they just didnt have big enough tummies for the amount of milk i make and that the Ob was full of it when telling me that I overproduce and have overactive letdown which is a true diagnoses. But apparently she did earn her degree at a real school and knows her stuff lol. So far im a week out, exclusively pumping and am getting 6-7 ounces a session. Last 2 nights are the first times i've woken up to pump, not out of desire let me tell you. But out of need, because i've been engorged and trying to fight off the mastitis. I remember when Kiki was 9 months old and I would pump for her at work i'd get 12 ounces a side and always just assumed it was because of her age and intake. But i bet if i kept it up, i'd be there within a month.
I'm unsure of where i stand mentally on pumping. Right now, i honestly hate it. I know it's helping my body to return to normal physically, its producing good oxytocin and helping me mentally and emotionally get back to normal as well. I also know it's helping baby Eden at this point because without it she's on formula. So it feels good to be able to give her something that my body is specifically creating for her. But i also know my IP's wont be able to afford to keep up with the shipments as it is a pretty hefty cost to have it shipped out. I have a mommy friend who's son needs it, and i will send what i can to him if i keep up with it. But I'm not so sure i will be anal about it. Right now im pumping about every 2 to 3 hours. Once my breasts are in the clear from clogging and mastitis I hope to spread it out to every 4 hours. We have crazy hectic days between a puppy and a kindergartner and a rambunctious 3 year old. So pumping every 2 hours is just not something i can commit to.
I'm ready to be back on my feet and packing. But my midwife checked me today and she wants me off my feet for another week. We discussed the birth again and she said that my active labor was only 2 hours. . . i'm not going to recover as quickly compared to the 12 hours of active labor i had with Kiki. Fast labors are harder on bodies and i just have to acknowledge this. So her and ben were brainstorming ideas on how to get help in so that we have childcare and ben can start packing. We get our keys to the new place on the 13th and he leaves on the 17th. My mw let me know that there are 3 families within blocks of where i live that would be awesome support for me when Ben leaves. Also, good friends who understand my passion for homebirth and would be able to help me talk through the birth more. It's hard to accept help. We have always been very self sufficient, our kids have never even spent a night away from us. So to ask and accept help is a whole new ball of wax for us. But if we are going to accomplish what has to be done, we are going to have to humbly accept. Hopefully it all falls into place. I'm thankful to not be anxiety ridden, as i would be normally. I just am kind of trying to enjoy the one time in my life where i have permission to rest and heal. It's a first for me, and im grateful for it!
2 comments:
Not sure where your IP's or your friend are, but we've been doing ground FedEx this time and if I send it on a Mon or Tues, it gets there in under 48 hours. It's only been about $30 for 50lbs (which is a lot of milk). It arrives frozen and at the most one or two bottles have gotten a bit slushy, but still able to be refrozen.
It does sound like your doing great mentally!
Thanks for the tips Cyn. I am freezing it now in 17 oz water bottles, so i bet it would be fine. They are in southern cali. . . im going to suggest thsi to my IPs as overnight would be over $140, yikes. Do you put it in a styrofoam cooler or an actual hard cooler?
Post a Comment