An unknown fact about me is I despise the movie, "The Wizard of Oz". Ok that's an understatement. I actually am TERRIFIED of the movie and my older sisters' use to turn it on and fast forward it to the flying monkey part just to watch me flip out. Eventually they moved out as they came to the legal ages and I was no longer tormented or forced to watch that movie and I never willingly watched the movie through again.
But for some reason, "Just follow the yellow brick road" has been playing through my head on repeat today (not literally, it's just popped up here and there at various points of the day). I remember when I was pregnant with my 2nd dd "Finding Nemo" had come out and at one point things were really, really bad. My then husband was home, off work, unpaid fighting disseminated lyme disease. He had a PICC IV and was so sick, I thought I might lose him. Add to that I was about 20 weeks pregnant and couldn't find a job. We lived off the grace of God, friends, family and our church. And so the saying during that time was, "Just keep swimming". I knew as long as we could keep our head above water and swim, God would take care of us.
Well, I have learned how to swim. The last 10 years has taught me how to swim through rain, storm, lightening, undercurrents, sharks and exhaustion and I was blessed with that lesson back then to lean onto my faith and God; something I'm slowly picking back up. And so the phrase is no longer one that resonates with me as strongly. But it seems as if I am on my own yellow brick road on the search for a brain, a heart and courage all in very different ways. I am working on having a brain when it comes to love, a heart when it comes to forgiveness and the hope of the future and God's love, and courage to get me through this life without ever again turning my back on myself or on what I believe in. Sounds easy enough, no? Only time will tell as I set off on my own yellow brick road, I am excited to see what comes across my path :)
No comments:
Post a Comment